Thursday, May 6, 2010

Voice mail...
















I had one of those days today where it bordered on wonderful and insanely stupid, just work stuff that involved dreaded phone calls and worse than the phone calls is the fact that you now have to dial all 10 digits in Fairfield county. Then there is the voice mail menu... need I say more. After all that, I call a friend on my way home and I get a voice mail menu that made me want to throw my phone out the window.

I bolted out of school anticipating a ride, but my friend bailed. Anna called me at about the same time asking me to go hiking. While I wrestled the demons and guilt of not getting on that bike I decided that an afternoon out with my daughter was far better than a ride alone. I was so right. We went to the Rockefeller Preserve and walked for a good 90 minutes. It was beautiful to say the least. I wish I had the pictures for wordless Wednesday.

We returned home to just enough light to work in the garden. All the while I was asking Anna's advice. She is the farmer in the family, this summer anyway. She is leaving next week for a summer of working on a small organic farm near Lexington, VA, where she has already spent time this spring helping with the planting. My herb garden is shaping up, 2 types of Lavender, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, sage, savory, chives, stevia, marjoram, cilantro, parsley and something that resembles celery that has been growing for the past 3 years but I cannot for the life of me remember what it is, so I won't use it. As for vegetables, there are tomatoes, beans, peas, lettuce, collards, peas, beans, squash, broccoli, and jalepeno. There will also be cucumbers and maybe zucchini. I have already done much more than I anticipated doing. I hadn't planned on a garden as I thought I would be away all summer. When I got invited to Korea for the month of August I realized that I really needed to conserve finances, so I will be home a great deal more than planned. Gardening has always been a challenge to me. We'll see how it goes.

Though I think my legs are still wishing they had spent time pedaling I wouldn't change the time with Anna for anything.



No comments: