Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I want to crawl into a hole, under a rock, etc...THATS WHAT I THOUGHT LAST WEEK

Tuesday of last week I had started to write this post:

So today was one of those days, I got caught speeding on my way to work, not once but twice, I had an issue with some broken student work, I couldn't get the kiln loaded by noon (we are under a time crunch right now), I had a call for entries day for MUD.2010 today that had at least 20 RSVP's and was supposed to be huge but only 3 schools showed up... instead of 100 pieces, we have 23.

By the end of the day on Tuesday I was near tears. I had worked so hard on this exhibition, and keeping my license clean, and making sure that the students work dried slowly, etc... It seemed that my whole day was one that would stick with me for a very long time, and not in a good way.

I got home, went for a long walk, had more than a glass of wine and decided the next day would be better. So I got up, decided to drum up some more business, make some more cups, etc. You know the routine, making lemonade out of lemons. It worked somewhat, I did get more schools involved.

My next task was installation, and despite the event being on the calendar, the room it was going to be hosted in was all of a sudden at a premium and not available for set up. This was getting exhausting, not to mention, I had Senior exhibits to help set up as well in the school gallery and progress reports were due. I was stressed, exhausted, ready to throw in the towel. I was also starting to feel under the weather. I couldn't afford to get sick. It happened and I pushed through the next 3 days hacking up a lung, sneezing every five minutes and feeling so congested that I was very nauseous. The show must go on, so they say.

So today Is Monday, and as I look back on the past week, I could sit here and focus on all that terrible stuff, but then I think of the great things that happened and I am smiling:
1. I had dinner with Jude
2. I was invited out on a lobster boat to haul traps and warned that I would have to endure fish guts (which sounds so cool) AND I get to spend a few days with Pete just hanging out.
3. I received the ultimate accolade from Roy " tell her she really is a freak"
4. My students have been helping out quite a bit with the exhibitions, and we went out to lunch on Saturday, which was so cool.
5. Despite feeling like I had inhaled an ocean I went to see Jessica in her studio yesterday. She made me tea. I copied down a bunch of glaze recipes. She donated a cup for the cup raffle. I love studio visits.
6. I worked in my studio.
7. I went to dinner with Mikey and we didn't rush.

Today we finished hanging the shows. I came home planted the window box, went for a walk with Ellen and then made dinner using herbs and rocket from the garden. Somehow it made dinner feel as if I was eating out.

Crawl under a rock? Don't think so. Its been a great week.


No comments: