Friday, November 12, 2010

I get it now...I am taking a VOW of silence

Dear Chris,
Yes, I know you know everything I have said, but I needed to direct this to you so that you can understand my point of view in reference to THIS firing.

I woke up at 3 AM yesterday and stayed up for 20 hours and that hurts.
I stacked a cord of wood and that hurts.
I drank 1/2 a bottle of wine and a manhattan and that hurts.
I woke up with kiln cough after one day and that hurts.
I spent another 8 hours standing in front of a 2200 degree furnace and that hurts.
I inhaled a huge chunk of hot wood ash and that really hurts.
I am tired from trying to decide if I was hot or cold and that hurts.
I am only 1/2 way done...and I know I am WHINING?

I arrived at the kiln at 7:15 for a 7:30 shift. I worked the door and then stoked for a bit. I drank a caffeinated coffee and learned where my wonderfully gorgeous sweet daughter got her gift of gab. Holy crap I can talk up a gibberish storm! Its distracting to everyone around me! Once again, just like my visit to the tile maker in Korea, I get it, which took some long needed kinesthetic learning.

I learned that instant hot was not hot enough to cook oatmeal in a thermos and that cold curry still tastes good, but it would have been so much better HOT. Using a pen and paper to write down the information  works. I will now become a list maker and that makes me feel old!
So tomorrow I am taking a VOW of silence and hope that you are not saying YEAH RIGHT by the end of my shift. I understand. I get it! I know just HOW important the legacy of this particular firing is!


No comments: