Wednesday, November 17, 2010

the complexity of being a (recent) insomniac

I never thought I would say this, but exhaustion is a physical state that I seem to understand quite well these days, mostly because I have been sleep deprived for quite some time now(going on 4 months). Its not by choice, and not because I am burning the candle at both ends and in the middle either. I actually like sleeping 7-8 hours a night and pride myself on the concerted effort to rise and fall at the same time every day . I just haven't seen that lately. Right now, I am so tired of being tired.

I find myself dead on my feet, cranky, contankerous, maybe even bordering on catatonic. I want to get out and skate in the evenings but find the drive daunting. Imagine that? Well, I decided that tonight I was going to bite the bullet and just go, despite my 3AM wake-up this morning. I was lucky because Bud (coach/Yonkers) and I are nearly neighbors and he was driving to the rink anyway, so I asked him for a lift. I actually enjoyed the workout, despite taking it at a slower pace than I would have. It was also wonderful to rehash our epic rides.

So I am hoping, with any luck that speedskating was just what I needed to sleep tonight, fingers crossed.

No comments: