Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I think I like riding in the dark...

I have been on my bike 4 out of the last 5 days, not a bad start for the season. I have spent three of those rides bridging dusk and riding right into the night. Last year I had grown to love being on the road in the darkest most deep ink purple part of the night, just before dawn. It was quite, the world seemed to be asleep while I was playing. The sun would come up just about half way (12.5 miles) into my commute to school. Each time it was stunning. Each time it was different. The past three days has had me riding on the other side of the night when the black is more grey blue, the light not yet totally diffused from my world. This type of riding is not quiet, it is more chaotic with people rushing about trying to eek out the last part of their day. I have decided that this type of riding, while not uncomfortable, takes a great deal more diligence. I don't really care for being out on the main roads at this time, especially knowing that to be safe requires that I stay as far right as possible which puts me into a debris field of pot holes, gravel and discarded items. I have been riding however because I need to ride. Its the first time in a long time that I can honestly make this statement from my heart. I NEED TO RIDE! Maybe its my mom's illness, maybe its my way of grieving Hanna's death, maybe it just my need to get my head back in touch with my heart? Who knows?

Tonight's ride had a mission, I wanted to go up to the HS to see Chris run his first track meet in two seasons. He didn't run last year. He started the year out well, running a leg of the 4x400 and gaining back a huge amount of turf before passing on the baton. I was freezing while standing there in the wind. I had hauled over there because I didn't want to miss him running only to find out that I had about a 40 minute wait. I rode my HR only shifting to granny when it was warranted by a number and shifting up as soon as my HR recovered. I only saw granny once today!

Last night I had dreamt of how wonderful it would be to be able to get up at 4:30 and ride for an hour before work. I don't get to bed early enough so I am a bit hesitant. Soon enough I will start commuting by bike again when I can handle the back to back 50's. Give me a few weeks.

On another note, I have just registered for the PMC as a rider. I am so excited to do this!

No comments: