Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Going Up the Country

...
I'm going to some place where I've never been before


Tonight it was sticky, uncomfortable, hot... and yet I managed to drag myself and my gear up to New Paltz to pummel myself in a flat 10 mile time trial. I had this conversation this morning that helped to ease my training head a bit. I think that I was starting to get a bit discouraged because I was not seeing the results I wanted to see. I have been paying close attention to every detail, too close attention. The conversation put me into a much better frame of mind. I had prepared well today! I took it easy, made sure to hydrate, went to the lake and immersed myself in the cool water for 20 minutes and stretched. I drove the hour with the music blasting (of course I sung the whole way- hey I was alone!). I had a number in my head and I arrived so ready to pummel the course.

I get a chance to spin a bit and warm up. I am so pumped that I am actually relaxed. I know I will be caught at some point as I always am. Hmmm, the thing I really noticed about my attitude is that when this happened today, it didn't bother me, I just tried like hell to stay in contact with them. I did for a bit, then there was this guy cutting hay and chipping wood, and I happened to take a big breath of saturated air. I lost my focus for a second, weeezzzz. I played this game "I only have to get to that road and I am home free". I kept thinking the road was coming up, and it was still further along... I wouldn't let up...that road was a 1/4 mile from the finish, my cue to give everything left...I rode like "a woman possessed" I wanted that number that was swimming around in my head!

Riding a flat TT is a great deal harder than I thought it would be. With the first twitch of muscle fatigue I started to realize that the lack of hills meant no chance to recover. This poses all sorts of issues, including the potential for MENTAL ANGUISH. I wouldn't give in, I wanted that number!

Ok, I should let you know that I was just 27 seconds off that number but I improved over last week and I am told that my time is NOT THE SLOWEST TIME REGISTERED ON THAT COURSE! (10 miles in 31:57) BTW- I ride a road bike, no aero bars, no zipps.

Tomorrow a nice spin and a swim shared with a mind that is focused and no longer hyper-focused!

No comments: