Saturday, May 7, 2011

Where there is smoke...

Where there is smoke...not sure I want to finish that phrase on many levels. I have had the week from a place that people of my mother's stature have told me there is a great deal of smoke and brimstone. So why am I avoiding the hockey sticks? I am afraid to tempt fate even more. Actually in the scheme of things, when I sit down and really look at it, things have been a whirlwind of comedic proportions. I sat there this morning listening to John ask his son about today's version of the age old Sat morning kid ritual and why it was raining oil up from the ground and no one was getting pelted with oil and did some word play, why is it raining shhhhh..it from the ground and why is my husband and our friend Chris the one's to turn off the spigot two week's in a row?

Sunday the septic backed up into the house, the pump went right in the middle of fn TREME... Monday started with a military shower of 2 minutes ( or less) I wish I was in TREME... $1K later
Tuesday? Time trial day. Oh, this takes the cake! I inhaled my salad (literally) and when the right side of my chest was still tight a few hours later ended up in the ER and after an X-ray and CT scan ended up admitted to Danbury Hospital and despite being discharged a few hours later without the prescribed bronchoscopy despite the change in my lungs (more when I know more). No time trial BTW...
Wednesday? TEA and an ORANGE PEEL and a MEETING don't MIX!!! Yes, I slipped on an orange peel at lunch while holding a full cup of rooibos and YES IT FRIGGEN STAINS. I ended up attending an after-school meeting in a beat -up sweatshirt because it was THAT much better!
Thursday, after a 3 hour drive? Well, I felt like a complete KILN HOG when ALL of the work I brought to the kiln got in and not much else...despite only 18 cups and 3 vases....
Friday? Well, after posting that the kiln was content I spoke too soon. A mulch pile that was previously insignificant (and way too near the kiln) caught fire when a strong wind kicked up AND WHILE I WAS THE ONLY ONE THERE!!! My friend Pete was privy to all of this as we were communicating at the time. Which in some way seemed so fitting. We love each other to death and in the midst of him telling me about his week, which was even more tragic, mine continued to fall apart. To top it off I was reading This Life is in Your Hand: Sixty Acres adn a Family Undone ( Coleman) which is a story about a family that homesteads off the grid in the 1970's in northern coastal Maine. I couldn't wait to tell him about it. (That always happens) The mulch-pile incident scared the beJesus out of me but I managed to extinguish it before any real damage was done. Steve showed up and I was soooooo afraid to leave the kiln's side for even 30 seconds and within site. Despite this hiccup the firing did finish up well  ( and this morning we reflected upon all of it) We had a Greek dinner by the kiln that could not be beat!
Saturday? Well, as John was mentioning the oil in the cartoon to his son Kenny and our friend Chris were digging up the septic for the 2nd time, getting it pumped for the 2nd time, fixing a pump for the 2nd time, replacing couplings for the second time, finding out that flushable wipes are not safe for septics and that pipes in even these conditions can freeze and break and go un-noticed until... 
I haven't been on a bike in a week and seem so out of touch with my world...TOMORROW morning in TOGA! For now its a bourbon and SLEEP!



 

No comments: