Monday, September 27, 2010

Earthquake!!!

I haven't posted for awhile and after last night's speedskating meeting, where I was berated mercilessly by a bully parent in front of the whole club, I felt that it was time I spoke out.

Dear BULLY PARENT,
First off, speedskating is an inherantly dangerous sport. You obviously heard us, figured that part out well, because you criticized the drill I was doing with YOUR KID. To minimize the danger, we have rules and a very specific TRACK ETIQUETE that is followed BY EVERY COACH and CLUB IN THE COUNTRY! Skaters have to have the permission of a coach to exit the ice and skating against traffic is certainly NOT allowed, EVER. If you need your kid off the ice, notify the coach. Don't call out to your kid, instructing him when to cross. As you said, he is 5 and has NEVER crossed the street by himself, why then would you want him to cross a skating track that has 45 mph traffic on it unassisted? This was what we were trying to explain last night before you so rudely inturrupted and refered to me in the THIRD person even though I was standing right in front of you.
What I don't understand is how your son could not IDENTIFY me on the ice. I had just spent a solid 90 minutes with him in a small group, smaller even than his class at school I am sure. I was WEARING a US Speedskating Jacket with 2 identifying markers on it, a FLAG on the lapel and a LOGO on the back. Stickers on my helmet? HMMMM, I have those too, ONE right across the front that says COACH in BIG BOLD LETTERS, and the number 292. You want me to wear a scarf? You did say I was already pushing the limits of your childs safety and that I should NEVER be allowed to coach children. A scarf would only make for more of a hazard. I don't ever allow open zippers on the ice because of the danger of fly away clothing, I am ceratinly NOT going to jeaprodize safety by wearing a scarf.
As for teaching skating, I have done it for 10 years now, and I am confident that I have learned from the best. I continue to learn. I continue to revise. If you feel you know so much about balance drills and speedskating and can do a much better job, well, then, you come out on the ice and teach them to the dozen. I worked hard to get to where I am and I am not afraid to observe better ways of doing things.
If you are not happy, that is fine. Its your right. My only wish is that you spoke to the example you want your kid to follow. He is in kindergarten. He is learning far more from the actions of adults than he is from their directions. He will grow up to be just like you. His teachers will be afraid to open up to him and he will miss out on a lot that they have to offer as they will fear the FAMILY's wrath. I wonder if you will be the bully parent that writes his HS AP teachers at 2 in the morning? The one that gets all the negative attention from the school district. You do realize that the public forum is cracking down on this type of behavior don't you? I only wish you would GIVE YOUR KID A BREAK. Consider taking your anger out in a healthy way!
Sincerely,
Flag laddened #292, the COACH

Today's earthquake? I actually averted one in my school hallway. We are in the midst of this anti-bullying campaign. It has come to the attention of all of us that often times teachers do not stand up for the students that are being bullied, or at the very least they are oblivious. I caught this group of kids taunting this girl as she walked by them. To my dismay there were a few in that group that were former students. I called them on their remarks. I think they were shocked.

With that said, to all those who have been BULLIED in the last 24 hours here is recipe for your own EARTHQUAKE!

1 cup of coconut
1 cup of almonds
(1 chocolate cake mix)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp cocoa
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 bananas mashed and mixed in
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups powderd sugar
3/4 cup chips (I mixed dark chocolate and white)

Preheat oven to 350.
Grease a cake pan (I used a spring form and cooked it longer even though it called for a 13X9) .
Place coconut and nuts on bottom.
Cover with cake mix.
Cream butter, cream cheese (I used greek yogurt), vanilla and sugar together.
Drop by spoonfuls over cake batter.
Sprinkle with chips.
Bake in oven for 50 minutes.

This recipe courtesy can be found in Always on Sunday (Ostman )and the chocolate cake recipe (NYT cookbook) both of which have been modified a bit.

Happy gooeyness!

No comments: