Tuesday, August 24, 2010

my clock is screwed up...still

Today was my first day back to school, no students yet, but non the less, still a morning when I have to awake at the crack of dawn and start what will amount to ten months of sleep deprivation. Don't get me wrong, I really like my chosen profession, but sometimes, like now, when my body still thinks its somewhere in tomorrow, I really don't relish the pace I have to keep to be good at it.
I managed some studio time today. I have prepared a half a dozen cups for my up coming exhibition. I had wondered what would come out of my hands after spending all that time looking at work in a far off land. I am pleased with what I have accomplished, yet its only the beginning of what I have to do. Only time (and the flame) will tell what the final outcome will be. I honestly have to say, that its the first time in a very long time that each calculated move has a glaze thought behind it (again think Red Velvet Cake) I want contrast -juicy, thick, rich, frosting against dark, grainy, reduction...I want my audience to know why I chose the glazes I did without asking me. I want them to experience my thoughts visually. ABSOLUTELY no room for words.
I sit here, making dinner for Kenny and Anna, a simple temple meal, miso, rice, greens, and fried seaweed. I thought it would be awhile before I was moved to eat rice again, but this meal seems to be connected to an inspiration. The house smells wonderful, and on such a cool day I am sure it will be a welcomed thought. I am still hanging on to that inspiration, the woodcarver I met (Park Chan Soo) somewhere in my travels (Moka), He too has an exhibition coming up, in NYC of all places. How wonderful it will be to share his work with my students.
I managed some studio time today... I was terrified of entering the space. I had these visions of being overwhelmed with information. I was pleasantly surprised.

No comments: