Sunday, December 9, 2012

Day 2- inspired by another blog

Day 2: I know I am on a quest that is a long shot, but it has me out there and as my friend Cathy said you never know what tomorrow will bring unless you seek it out. This morning I woke up, pulled on my running clothes, ate a properly sized breakfast (portion control is also part of seeking balance), did some research over coffee (started with trying to find a couch to 50 app- there isn't one). I came across this blog though, that had me excited, especially since I read it wrong and will maintain that what I read is the truth, going from the couch to 50 will be easier than the couch to 26.2. Then again even though I am out of shape I wouldn't exactly call myself a couch potato and there is that fact that I know how to approach training and how to approach the mental side of training. So there you go. I am out the door and hitting the pavement. This morning my goal was to find out just how fast I could walk in the 45 min I gave myself, and how long I could sustain that pace without being more than a step or two above my comfort level. The rule I gave myself was that the pace I chose had to be maintained even if I was climbing or descending for that matter. What I learned 4.3 is the number for 30 min (I lost my focus after that because a friend was walking in the neighborhood at a slower clip and I figured it was better to accompany her as she was just starting out and possibly score more milage than it was to continue on my route and be done in 15min) I walked another 30 min with her then decided after I couldn't regain my pace I would call it a day (I still had to walk home up a monstrous half mile long hill). So there you have it, day 2. Tomorrow presents its own challenge. I have a 7AM-6PM work day with 90 min of commuting. Time to get creative and plan it now. I know if I wait until I get home I will struggle to go out. I also know that being up before 5 is not going to work either. There is the hour between school and when I have to leave for my after-school class that I could spend on the trail? I could also use it as one of my interval days, which means that the overall timeframe can be less. I am thinking...

No comments: