Tuesday, February 2, 2010

What I really meant to say...

So, this past weekend, as we endured the snow and endless drive to DC, what I was most looking forward to the Julie Child's style nurturing I would receive from Richard. He is one of the most adventurous cooks I know and the hospitality, well that is off the charts. I knew that as soon as we arrived at Richard's I would have a drink in my hand a snack in front of me and feel about as comfortable as I do in my own home, or even more so. (Is that even possible?)

What I find interesting is that I have spent the past month basking in the memories of my trip across the pond. The night before I left I had uploaded Julia and Julie to my IPOD thinking that I would need something to do in my downtime away. I never had the time to watch it.

On Sunday, I woke up at 7 AM, way before anyone else dared to stir and with the night before still very evident in my head. Richard had welcomed us the night before to the "Julia hospitality" as he proudly handed me a glass of wine. I laughed. On this particular morning however, as my head swam, I couldn't sleep. I decided to watch Julia and Julie. I felt instantly like I was in some sort of parallel universe. I actually wondered what it would be like to cook my way through a cookbook, and what is even funnier, was that I almost felt intrigued enough to try it. Except, I am not sure it would be one of Julia's books. While watching this movie, I thought about my childhood and how much I loved to cook while my mother really did not. I often turned to the book my mother was given by my grandmother, The Encyclopedia of Cooking (Given, 1959). At that time, my world consisted of the neighborhood boys thinking I was the best cook on the planet, especially when there was a homemade snack at the end of a game of flashlight tag or some other adventurous after-dark feat.

When I got a bit older, as my own cookbook collection grew. My mother eventually gave me the Given's volumes. At that time however, I was a vegetarian, and pretty much cooking my way through Nikki and David Goldbeck's American Wholefoods Cuisuine (1983). This is still the "HOLY" cookbook. Anna will most likely inherit it, despite the fact that its falling apart. As much as I enjoy a steak, I really miss being a vegetarian and wish I could take on that lifestyle once again.

On Sunday, after a breakfast out, we shopped the farmers market, and I marveled at how even here I have become the discriminating shopper. While I sit here listening to the movie FOOD INC I thank my lucky stars that the e-coli infection I suffered after the Am Cup 2 meet in December was not of the hemorrhagic variety. The pain I suffered in that week was far beyond any baby I birthed so I cannot even imagine. Last summer I decided that shopping local was important, after this experience, I have committed to it. I question every piece of lettuce I eat, cook things to oblivion and pray that eat bite will not be my last. The movie ends with this

I have been a bit road weary lately. I have traveled almost every weekend since the coaching clinic I facilitated in Morrisville in November. I wanted to go to DC this weekend. It was a diversion from the speedskating schedule. I know, I went to London which had nothing to do with ice, yet it played so heavy on my soul afterwards that my studio work has occupied every stitch of free time outside of school and Chris's training schedule. In any case I am counting the days until it is a date with my bike instead of a drive to ice. I am praying that I get through the next few weeks.

I have been in the gym every other day for a few weeks now. My body never seems to recover between sessions, I guess that is what Bud meant a few years ago when he talked about being perpetually sore? I guess the magic number of 45 has made an entrance just as he said it would, eventually. Yesterday, when all was said and done, I had had a pretty tough workout, tomorrow I go back for more. I have these goals in mind, but they just don't seem to have the same passion, even though everyone is telling me how great I look. I haven't stopped long enough to step on the scale, so quite frankly, I DON'T know, I honestly think I am too tired to care.

So what I really meant to say was that I have learned some very important lessons this season, and friends and family are at the top of the list. So is health and HAPPINESS. Passion is important, as is new life. Three of my friends are having babies soon, and while I don't wish it was me, there is still a bit of envy and wonder. One friend is getting married (or maybe I should say two), and there again the appreciation for new beginnings. Then there is the Olympics...GO Trev , go USA, and Ryan you make a really great mentor!

What I really meant to say is sentimental is EVERYTHING!

No comments: