Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Cheonan Market and Gangjin Porcelain Festival

Dear Hanna, August 8, 2010

Gangjin, Korea

I had had such a busy day yesterday that I don’t know where to start. We had abalone porrige for breakfast, which was OK, and I must admit each meal today was better than the last, though I am so tired of kimchi, fish, garlic and onion. Today we wrapped meats in lettuce and sesame leaves, at lunch it was pork and dinner was beef.

After breakfast we started out day at the market place where haggling was the rule of the day. I didn’t do so well, and got taken a few times. I am still trying to understand the nuances of the currency. In any case I did get a few nice items. The market had a great deal to offer in terms of people watching and weird foods. I could see myself in Andrew Zimmern’s shoes.

We went to the festival after lunch. I was taken back by how huge the festival is, imagine our State Fair dedicated to just ceramics! Upon arrival you are greeted by the sound tunnel, 15 hundred bells created by Mr Kwang Kwang Mugg strung up throughout the main thoroughfares of the festival. The sound is magical. A short walk led us to the international demonstration tent, where there was this huge banner promoting the exhibit pictures of us and our work were on it. After viewing the exhibition, which was set up in a museum like setting we headed toured the grounds so that we would get our footings. It was there that I found the kiln shed. The anagama was amazing looking. I was in love.

I then visited the Celadon museum, which had a historical exhibit. A group of us then went to the beer tent. I tell you this because it was important to what happened next.

While sharing a large bottle of Hite, a drumming corp paraded by, we ran to watch. The next thing we know we were pulled into this drumming circle by the drum major and the media was on us like flies to …well, I think you know where I am going with this. We were instant celebrities. It was one of the most amazing experiences. I wish I had not been so tired so that I could have caught myself on the news. I was told it may be in the paper this morning as well, we’ll see.

Today we are going back to the festival, we have a carving workshop this morning as well as demonstrations throughout the day. I am so glad I made this journey. I just wish I could grab more than 5 hours of sleep.

More later! Love you!!!

XOXO

Gangjin Celedon Festival drummers from lisa floryshak-windman on Vimeo.

No comments: